EVERY TRAFFICKING VICTIM IN THE UNITED STATES SHOULD HAVE ACCESS TO JUSTICE.
“I feel like the powerful people are on my side now.”
—Trafficking Survivor, referred by HT Pro Bono
HT Pro Bono trains talented pro bono attorneys to represent trafficking victims in the United States. It makes referrals on a case-by-case basis, providing mentoring and extensive technical assistance for complex civil, immigration, and criminal cases. HT Pro Bono attorneys monitor the developing case law, focusing on impact litigation in the federal courts. HT Pro Bono also conducts research and maintains a comprehensive database on federal civil trafficking cases. It works in concert with other groups to promote policy reform that will end the scourge of trafficking.
In the ten years since Congress created a civil remedy, trafficking victims have filed just 123 cases. Pro bono attorneys give victims the chance to hold traffickers accountable, gain restitution, and reclaim their lives.
Victims in need of assistance should contact The National Human Trafficking Resource Center hotline at 1-888-373-7888.
NEWS & HIGHLIGHTS
- Martina Vandenberg Appears on MSNBC’s Ronan Farrow Daily. More information and view episode.
- HT Pro Bono Leads Coalition Combating Trafficking by Diplomats in the U.S.: See our op-ed in the The Washington Post, on abuse by diplomats.
- Cutting-Edge Civil Remedies for Trafficking Victims in the U.S.: HT Pro Bono led panel discussion at the Freedom Network Conference in San Francisco.
- Jenner & Block LLP Named to The National Law Journal’s 2014 Pro Bono Hot List: One of only ten firms recognized, J&B received the honor for its anti-trafficking work undertaken in partnership with HT Pro Bono.
- Raphael Lemkin Human Rights Award: Presented to HT Pro Bono’s president, Martina Vandenberg, by T’ruah: The Rabbinic Call For Human Rights.
- Creating a Bench of Pro Bono Attorneys: HT Pro Bono has trained more than 900 highly skilled attorneys throughout the U.S. using a rights-based approach that empowers trafficking survivors.